Not only is it important to follow the law when it comes to properly managing your business waste, but it’s got many benefits too. With Panda’s guidance, you’re sure to make a big impact.
Here are some of the reasons why reducing your waste can be valuable to your business.
- Saves on costs – 70% of what goes in most companies’ general waste bin could instead go into the recycling and food waste bin. For a business, waste disposal can rack up quite a cost. That’s why it’s important to adopt more sustainable practices.
- Builds Your Reputation – Knowing you’re an environmentally conscious business can improve your reputation amongst customers, suppliers, and employees. 85% of consumers have become greener in their purchasing. Demand is growing for environmentally friendly alternatives.
- Boosts Morale – Allowing your staff an opportunity to collaborate on an environmental project will boost morale at work.
How do we know this? Because we don’t just talk sustainability, we do it, and that includes in the workplace. The team at Panda is proud to be part of our “zero-landfill” mission.
- Enhances Company Culture – Instilling a recycling initiative company-wide will drive your employees to want to participate both at work and at home.
- Gives You A Competitive Edge – Offering a more sustainable solution is a unique selling point and will give you an advantage over your competitors. How do we know this? Because Panda is Ireland’s leading provider of sustainable waste management solutions, trusted by 30,000 sites across Ireland. Want to know more?
- Sets An Example For Others – Seeing your business adopting more sustainable practices drives other businesses, customers, and suppliers to follow suit.
- Conserves Natural Resources – By reusing, recycling, and reducing your consumption of these resources, you won’t be adding to the production and disposal of needless materials. You’ll also avoid contributing to landfill.
Now that we’ve convinced you on the why, here’s how to get started:
A Step-By-Step Guide:
Step 1: Select a committee of employees to drive a recycling or ‘zero-waste’ initiative. To help you get started, read our 9 Ways to Make Your Business More Sustainable.
Step 2: Set clear goals and KPIs for what you want to achieve. This will help your team understand what they need to do to achieve success.
Step 3: Track and report. First, start with an audit or assessment of your waste disposal. This will help with deciding where you should focus your attention.
Step 4: Focus on prevention first. Know the importance of reducing and reusing too. Refer to the Waste Hierarchy for guidance.
Step 5: Look at your options. Think about the consumables you’re using. Can you switch to compostable or recyclable products? Explore all options available to you.
Step 6: Implement actions, activities, and initiatives to reduce your business waste.
Need some inspiration? Check out our top tips and suggestions to help you reduce your business waste:
Panda’s Top Tips:
- Go paperless – Switch to recycled paper and when printing, encourage staff to print double-sided. Allow your team to collaborate using the cloud and send email memos to your team.
- Don’t forget to encourage your customers to go paperless too! That includes invoices and receipts; and when signing contracts, do it digitally.
- Stock control – Businesses often tend to over-order materials. Evaluate the number of materials you’re using over a particular period and ensure to stick with that.
- Cut back on packaging – If you’re making or selling products, consider your packaging and try to reduce the amount you use. How about using biodegradable materials?
- Start a recycling initiative – Drive employees to make use of recycling and food waste bins. Colour-code bins and hang posters to help everyone understand what goes in each bin. Here’s a list to help your team! Why not remove personal bins under desks? Employees will be more likely to use the recycling bin instead.
- Save energy – That includes installing LED bulbs and switching off desktops in the evening. What about switching to electric company vehicles? Check out Panda’s 7 ‘Must-Follow’ Energy Saving Tips For Your Business.
- Get everyone involved – To instil a successful change in behaviour across the business, keep your employees motivated and in the know. Incentivise reaching goals among your team to help drive results.
- Think outside the box – Have you thought of a community garden or compost heap? It’s a great way to sustainably get rid of all the coffee grounds, tea bags, and fruit peels around the workplace! Take part in community events to help establish a good reputation locally.
- Don’t forget about marketing! – Shouting about all that you’re doing to improve your green credentials is valuable content worth talking about. Use it to engage your followers and attract new potential customers.