Your Guide to Christmas Composting 

18th Dec 2023

As the holiday season comes to an end, many of us are left with a lot of excess waste. Composting is a great way to reuse this waste. The holiday season is often filled with foods that contain important nutrients for soil enrichment. For example, turkey bones contain phosphorus, potassium, and other vital nutrients that can be used for making agricultural grade fertiliser. At Panda, your composting efforts go a long way… we take your compost bin contents and work our magic to transform 80% of it into fertiliser, helping Irish farmers nurture their land. The remaining 20% is turned into energy. 

Even your sweet treats can be given a second chance. Candy canes, marshmallows, chocolate and other sugary treats can all be composted, and all hard and soft plastic wrappers can be placed into your recycling bin!

To make composting easy, remember to stock up on biodegradable compost bags. These bags are perfect for collecting all your food scraps from preparing the Christmas dinner, whether it be carrot tops from those fussy reindeers, citrus fruit rinds from your cocktails, or raw and cooked meat from your festive feast.

You can also add small amounts of oil to your compost bin, however large quantities should be taken to your local civic amenity instead. The oil will be collected, cleaned and reused, so nothing will go to waste! Did you know, Panda has 18 Civic Amenity Centres nationwide?

So this Christmas, don’t forget to compost your leftovers! It’s an easy and efficient way to reuse your waste and help create a healthier environment for everyone. Also, don’t forget to check out our Composting Championship and complete the nomination form for a chance to win a year’s free bin collections!

Happy composting and happy holidays!